" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

January 30, 2008

This n That

My god I'm speechless. Nothing to say. I've been doing so much writing lately that it's hard to keep up with "da Blog."

I'm writing a play - a monologue - to enter into this Emerging Writers competition put on by the Solo Collective.

Interestingly enough, one of the judges is a guy I met on an internet date sometime within the past 7 years or so I think. He's quite a successful playwright and he was nice. I recall him giving me some tips on technique in terms of ending short stories and we had a good conversation.

Anyway, he's one of the judges. He won't remember me so it doesn't really matter either way.

My monologue is called Morse Code and it's based on a true story except of course when you write a play it has to have some very surprising elements to keep the audience enticed. It has to have an element of surprise that is believable and it would be good if it also had some bigger life lessons woven into the overall message but in a very organic, subtle kind of way. It's tricky. Try it!

So, that's what I've been doing. And, it's really fun. But, it's hard to go from that to writing job applications. Which one seems more interesting? Take a guess? The phone rings and someone's asking you whether you'd be interested in a job you didn't even apply for meanwhile your head is still in the character of your play. It's hard to make that mental leap.

Anyway, Keiko and I went to a really excellent movie yesterday that I'd highly recommend called Persepolis. It was a black and white animation and based on a graphic novel by this Iranian woman whose name is Marjane Satrapi. Really worth seeing! Now you know why I'm not a film critic. Just go see it! What else do you need to know?

No comments: