" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

March 28, 2008

New Denver: A Cell Phone Free Zone


-New Denver, August 2007
Maybe you've heard that the little village of New Denver, BC, in the Kootenays has decided to become a cell phone free zone.

Now, if you've ever been to New Denver you can't help but think that yes, that is definitely the right decision. It is the most quaint, peaceful, scenic little town snuggled in beside Slocan Lake.

I was there this past summer for a few hours. I had lunch in an organic coffee shop on the main street and although I don't recall what kind of soup I had, I do remember that it was delicious.

I wandered through the Nikkei museum dedicated to commemorating the Japanese people who were interned in the area during World War II after being forcibly relocated from the Coast. And, I was surprised to stumble across the most beautiful Japanese Garden nestled beside the lake.

I'm just glad places like New Denver still exist.

No comments: