" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

May 14, 2008

The Perfect Timing of Dr. Seuss


You know when you find yourself running around your apartment with the Tarot cards in one hand and the sweet grass in the other that it's a sign things aren't going quite as well as they could be.

I purchased the sweetgrass from an old, brown woman in the summer of 2006 from a dark cave-like room which was her kitchen at the Taos Pueblo in New Mexico in 2006. It's a World Heritage site and a cool place, albeit a little touristy even though people still live there without electricity or indoor plumbing.

Today I lit the burnt ends of the sweetgrass bundle. They crackled. Standing on my tiptoes, I began waving the dried wand of sweetgrass and lavender around trying to ensure the cleansing spirits of the smoke would reached past the dust and make its presence known to any stuck energy that has seemingly taken up residence.

I double checked to make sure any souvenirs from Chiapas like Zapatista dolls weren't lurking in old storage.

I wondered aloud about what might have happened to that voodoo doll that was a miniature replica of an old boss. A co-worker had painstakingly (pun not really intended but hey, good one) and lovingly sewn that thing by hand as my going-away present. It was complete with pins and a noose, which, in hindsight, is hard for me to believe. I don't think that's funny now. Honest! That was 20 years ago. I was so immature then!:-)

That voodoo doll better not be hiding anywhere around here I thought, wondering if such things could have an impact on the current state of affairs.

That's right. I have no shame. I admit it. Something isn't quite right. Things aren't moving. If it doesn't hurry up and shift Mercury will be in retrograde again on May 26th and then it will be hurry up and wait all over again like some never ending centrifugal force leading nowhere.

The patience has run out. Completely. I have never had more to offer an employer or more interviews to no avail. What gives? The What Colour is Your Parachute book says it can take 1 month for every $10,000 you intend to be paid. A friend of mine jokingly said, I can't wait two years for someone to hire me!

Anyway, yesterday, I was passing some time in Chapters before meeting a friend and I spotted a Dr. Seuss book. They were just positioned there on the shelf as gifts for new graduates. It's the one that's called "Oh, the Places You'll Go..."
I picked it up and started reading the story and it's so great. Oh, the places you'll go. Or not,I added, a little under my breath.

And, of course, Seuss makes reference to "the waiting place". His verse in this book speaks to how we can all get into a slump every once in a while but we must never give up because

...will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3 / 4 percent guaranteed.)

It was perfect timing to see that yesterday. You can read the words by Dr. Seuss here.
Stand up when you do. With a little FEELING people! C'Mon!

No comments: