" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

September 11, 2008

Jacqueline and Pacino


Before I went to Saltspring I discovered this free paper there full of free classified ads.

I decided I'd put out a request for a place to live, go fishin' so to speak and see what I could hook.

My ad said something like 40-something, friendly, creative, clean and responsible female writer. Saltspring bound. The dream? Small cabin. But all options considered (which in hindsight cracks me up). What does THAT mean? It's just good to be open to possibilities that's all.

Then, I left and promptly forgot that I'd even placed the silly thing. Lots of stuff happened over there and so on Saturday I got a call from a woman who had seen my ad. She seemed exceptionally lively suggesting that I should come and look at her place. At that point, I'd sort of decided that perhaps living there wasn't going to happen afterall because the job I had gone to check out didn't pan out.

But, then Sunday came, the ferry didn't leave until 3:30 pm and I thought what the hell. Let's check it out!

I drive out to the place. It's this gorgeous, old fashioned cottage with a covered verandah (a VERANDAH!!!!!!) Just saying it slowly makes me happy! Try it! VERANDAH!

This very interesting-looking woman with wild big hair greeted me. She had this big black and white Main Coon cat named Pacino (after Al) who apparently has a place on the island. She had this lime green rope wound about a zillion times around her wrist because Pacino needed to roam but he needed to be kept tabs on as well I suppose.

The cabin is a one bedroom, her art is all over the walls, the dining room table is covered with chunky beaded bracelets that she's making for a show at some coffee shop. There's a woodburning stove and a huge expanse of lawn leading down to a big lake which was sparkly blinding.

I loved listening to her talk about Saltspring. The love hate relationship. She's a food writer who has had her third book, This Stove is Condemned published. She used to run a restaurant in Salt Lake City among many other careers and she's wanting to take off back to the U.S. for five months.

I would have loved to live there. It was perfect for me. As soon as I saw it I could see myself there doing the dishes, looking out the big window over the sink at the lake. Sitting, reading listening to the wood crackling in the wood burning stove. Having friends visit me there.

But alas, I told her I'd need to think about it. As it turns out for reasons I won't go into that are related to practical details, I ended up renting another one. But, it was with great sorrow that I had to decline.

But, that's okay, I like where I'm going also I might add equipped with a wood burning stove.

Her name is Jacqueline Landeen and it was a pleasure to meet her.

No comments: