" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

January 13, 2010

Dimensions of Seeing



(If the person who entered this spaghetti squash into the Fall Fair had seen only a vegetable, they would not have created this delightful little character).


There have been some issues arising with "my lady" and yesterday, after my day job, sitting in Barb's Buns with a friend, I noticed another of her caregivers who I rarely get a chance to talk to privately. She was just coming off her shift and I wanted to touch base with her briefly so I did that for 5 minutes.

When I asked her what she was thinking, she said, "I'm coming from a totally different perspective than everyone else else. I'm a buddhist. I've spent years in India. I lived with a "master".

I looked at her when she stated this because, to be honest, it came across as a little bit arrogant, but in the little that I know of this person, I know arrogance is not her thing.

It seems to me that interacting and caring for an elderly person whether they are our parents, relatives or a friend,  requires every bit of our life experience and challenges all our interpersonal skills.

While I've only been quite concerned and focused on "my lady's" safety recently, this person, in a very gentle way, reminded me that she was really mainly focused on spiritual health.

It was such a timely little reminder. It made me realize that when confronted with any scenario - our work, a relationship, friendships, children etc. there's so much more than their physical well being to be concerned about.

We can get caught up in believing that we know what someone else needs - whether they're looking for work or contemplating how best to be cared for in their later years - only to realize that we must have faith that each of us has our own internal wisdom and life experience to help us on our unique journey which is a spiritual one first and foremost. I believe this to be true of everyone, including people who may be suffering from some sort of mental restriction whether it be mental  illness or a mental disability.

When I was severely depressed in the past, there was always an internal compass; a little flicker of a pilot light that remained lit, waivering at times but still there and I believe that our spirit or whatever you want to call it, will guide us even when our conscious behaviour is seemingly diminished.

If my lady is safe but she is completely miserable then what is the point of her safety?

So, I guess  it's very wise to remind ourselves that regardless of the situation a multi-dimensional approach to it, is always desirable and possible.
  • Physically, is this safe?
  • Emotionally, will this allow us to be kind to others and to ourselves?
  • Intellectually will our participation result in expanded understanding?
  • Spiritually what will we learn about ourselves or what are the messages inherent in the situation?
  • Socially will it add to our feeling of being a part of a community or separate.

No comments: