" SpiritofSaltSpring:BC:Canada:GulfIslands:SaltSpring:Salt Spring:

March 02, 2011

Salt Spring What Ales You?

Think beer and you're bound to think guys. Men's men. Then, you begin to visualize the less than sexy end result of too much beer: beer guts. Hold the cans, please. Rough. Loud. Endless television advertising drowning out conversations in a pub. Sporting events. Those are the stereotypes. But, is it the entire picture?

My friend Gwen loves beer. I would definitely call her a beer aficionado. Raspberry Wheat Ale. Chocolate beer. Amber Ales. IPAs. The more unusual and different, the more intriguing.

Unless you live on Salt Spring and you're a beer drinker, you might not even know that the island has its very own  brewery called Salt Spring Ales. I love their tagline: "Drink Beers with Nature." I'm not totally clear on what that means. I suppose they couldn't very well say Drink Beers in Nature because those of us who live here (and especially the RCMP) know that happens way too frequently and it would be irresponsible to suggest such a thing in a corporate tag line. I tend to like Beer au Naturelle. Just my personal opinion. No need to get defensive. It covers the natural aspect of their 100% organic beer and the fact that nudists have been known to drink it down at Blackburn Lake on the dock. Not that I'd know for certain.
Have beer, be happy smiles Dee
Anyway, Salt Spring Ales make a really wonderful Porter. Their Golden Ale is good. In fact, I have to say, I really like their beers and I like their labelling. I see they have brewery tours on request. Next time Gwen comes to visit, I'll have to set that up.

As I was perusing their site, reading about the fact that they grow their own hops, honey and use the Heather from Butchart Gardens, I couldn't help but notice that they had links to two sites for women interested in beer. 
The first one is Pink Boots Society and in Vancouver there's a chapter of the cleverly named Barley's Angels.

When I read the descriptions of these organizations, I wholeheartedly believe that I may have accidentally stumbled (and I'm not even drinking) on Gwen's next career move.   That definitely calls for a pint!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I'm a beer lover for sure. Thanks for the website tips - I've never heard of the Pink Boots Society!

My ideal pub (which I have yet to find): comfy chairs, lots of wood, no tvs whatsoever, quieter music, and about 30 beers on tap.

Great website that lists all BC Craft/Microbreweries: http://www.bcbeer.ca/brewery.aspx

I am heading to Montreal soon and plan to check out some brewpubs there. Bagels, smoked meat sandwiches, brewpubs. All on the list!

-- Gwen

Gayle Mavor said...

Have a great trip Gwen. Find new beers.Thanks for the website tip.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog topic for The Spirit of Saltspring! :-)

Like your ideal pub, Gwen ... matches mine pretty well, and I'm also still hunting for it. (actually, there's an Irish place in Port Moody that at least seems to have separated itself into 2 ... quiet half and sports bar half. Didn't have the taps though) One of my current preferred places is St Augustine's on Commercial (@ Grandview) ... 40 microbrews on tap ... & food's good, but they do have TVs (and UFC nights! :-( ) But it's a place to visit while continuing the search.

... Dave

Gayle Mavor said...

Dave,
Have you ever been to The Crow and Gate in Cedar? The first neighborhood pub in B.C? You would love it.